With all this wonderful spring weather I have been put in the mood for planting and flower making over the last few days. I have used a mixture of kits from Kathryn at Templewood Miniatures http://www.fineflowersinminiature.co.uk/ and my own efforts with paper and punches.
I either aged or painted the pots first and filled them with air-drying clay and ground tea leaves mixed with pva glue. I found using the clay gave me a good base for the flower wire and added a little bit of weight to the pot. Once the clay has dried I remove the whole plant from the pot and place it back with a little bit of pva. I think my favourite is the orchid stem on the left.
The holly bush at the back is my first attempt of making my own wire frame, adding puched leaves and bunches of berries made from tiny red beads. The lavender plants were made with florist wire simply dipped in pva and then dipped in flower soft ( I think that's what its called ). With the success of these plants going to my head I decided to try and make a wall plant for the pillars of my witch's house.
I began with air drying clay which I tried to mix with paint for colour. This did not turn out well because of the mess I got myself into hand rolling the clay and paint together. So rolled lengths of the clay and made a shape the size needed for the pillar. While it was drying I found the yellow beads and made small clumps.
Once the frame was dry I gave it a wash with acrylic paint, and began sticking on the leaves I had punched along with my berries. I was really chuffed by the result and it has even stayed in one piece. This has prompted me to make a few more clay wall frames although I fear I may have been bouyed along by beginner's luck.
So here they are, very Dr Suess inspired and I am already worried that i will not be able to move them from the craft mat....No I am going to leave them to dry completely and stop prodding them every five minutes! I always forget that it doesn't matter if an idea doesn't work you can scrap it, learn from it and try again.
I think in this instance I might be trying again!