The roof has now dried out completely. The shrinkage has come to an end and I have covered the caps with slipped tiles.
The chimney stacks have had additional layers glued on and need to be undercoated/sealed before I start applying the Art Mache. I think I have probably over worked the roof tiles. Looking back at Rik Pierce's roof work it is much less fussy. I should have left it alone a bot more and not tried to do something with every tile.
I have also sanded down the Art Mache on the main stack. Very, very dusty work but is has smoothed down perfectly.
These are all the extra tiles I added to cover the shrinkage.
I have now begun to paint the roof with the main terracotta acrylic mix/wash. I was pleasantly surprised by how hardy the clay tiles were. I started off very tentatively as I was dreading the clay cracking but they seem to withstand more than I expected.
I have given it a thorough wash bit tried not to get too neurotic about painting every nook and cranny as I will be giving the whole thing a number of different paint washes. This is just the main base.
This seemed to take forever though! The chimney stacks are definitely going to be a pain! Another note to self: next time mark where you want the chimneys sit and then make them up, Art Mache them, paint them and then glue them to the roof!
If I can I am going to prise off the quirky stacks and add them after I have worked on them.
For the first time ever I have managed to mitre the corner of a cornice! Well actually my ever patient husband did all the angles and sawing for me. I have to tell you this broken wrist of mine has had all sorts of unexpected benefits!
This fabulous cornice fitted perfectly and I have brushed it with my favourite gold Rub 'n' Buff.
Oh, and if you want to see how a chimney stack really should be made have a look at Brae's Blog, wow! Absolutely stunning. I must start saving egg boxes!