After the trauma of running out of rail for my bar counter I was ready to commit murder when this happened....
The front door of this kit is a sliding panel, well it can be glued in place but interior access would be limited. I have spent a lot of time trying to decide how to finish and fix it and finally settled on all brick as a contrast to the render.
Painting the facing edges in sand yellow was the first mistake. It's much too yellow but it can be changed pretty simply.
The front step has to be glued in place in front of the sliding panel but not too close otherwise the panel will stick. As usual the piece has to be sanded down to accomodate the paving but I am used to this now.
The brick paviors go down very nicely, all easy peasy, but as you can see the step is unfinished because I was short by about 20 bricks. Grrrrrrrr!!!!!
So now I have to order another pack and wait for it to arrive which is so annoying but the worst thing is I can't remember what type they are so I have had to order the colour I think is right.......and we all know what is going to happen! Oh well that will teach me not to make a note of these things. If worst comes to worst I will have to exchange them when I go to Kensington in May.
I did, however, have enough bricks to complete the panel and the door is hinged and sort of hanging correctly.
I have still got to decide what to do with the door mouldings. The ones that come with the kit are made in MDF which colours very differently to the balsa I have used everywhere else. At the moment I have painted it a very dark brown as a contrast but I am toying with the idea of making up my own and staining it to match all the rest.
The only thing that puts me off is the circular piece that goes around the fan light which I didn't do very well with inside.
This was my second attempt as the balsa hates being cut against the grain and kept splitting and splintering.
I am putting up with this attempt as it will rarely if ever be seen, don't tell Michelle, she will be horrified by such a shabby approach!!! Ha! Ha!
The door is also a little darker but in my defence it is much more sheltered from the elements inside the porch so it would not weather as badly!!!
Still hoping to have some time this week to play with the leaded windows.