I finally started the opening fron panel this week after finding the extra sheets of wallpaper I needed at Miniatura.
I wallpapered the inside of the door and begin working on the balsa beams. I decided to work slightly differently this time to try and cut down on the amount of time it usually takes me. Plus I wanted to get the windows done, no hanging around.
I cut all the pieces I needed, including the windows. Then glued on my lines of brickwork. While they were drying I distressed and stained all the wood. I always cut the wood slightly longer than required as by the time all the sanding and staining is done it always ends up smaller. I have learnt to my cost that you can always shorten but never lengthen!!
The lines of bricks have to be grouted once the PVA is completely dry and this time I remembered to give them all a PVA wash. This seals the bricks making them much easier to clean up when grouting.
I left everything to dry overnight and in the morning glued on all the main beams and window frames on the outside.
Once all the glue had dried I applied the texture paste with a small trowel and various brushes. It needed to be a thick layer and I wanted it to squidge right up to the beams.
It is impossible to do this without getting the paste on the beams but I cleaned up as I went along.
While the paste was drying I began building up the interior window frames, sills and shelves. As I had used quite thin balsa, 1/8th of an inch, I have tried to strengthen the ledges and shelves by adding extra pieces and strips.
These windows have worked out much better than the side ones, mainly because I put them together all in one sitting and the larger sills are cut into the shape of the walls. The side ones simply have the sills laying on the top of the window ledge.
I am hoping to have a go at the stained and leaded windows next week and finish of the door panel.
Getting there bit by bit......Then the really scary bit, the grungy, weathering wash of everything!
Oh, and pave the front area too of course and tweak and twiddle all those little bits that never look quite right when the kit is finished.
Then I can put everything back in and try out the lights, play time!