Having spent what seems an age topping up my sweet stash and making lollipops I am now ready to tackle the roof of Honeydukes. After a false start the dormer windows were ready to be distressed and filled before being attached.
I have dirtied them up using and acrylic wash and the dust I collected from sanding and cutting the brick slips. The fine grey powder from the bricks is perfect for dust and grime.
The windows are in place on the front........
.........and back. Luckily I remembered that all the sweet jars in the front windows had to be very firmly glued in place as this part of the roof lifts up.
In preparing for this project I looked a lots of ways to display sweets and came across these very useful little display cases. They are meant for coins and come in a whole variety of sizes. I bought mine on Ebay and they are perfect for displaying sweets. They are not very deep so they wouldn't be any good for cakes but would be fine for biscuits or chocolates. They have a recessed edge that can be decorated with a ribbon very easily.
One small window with tall thin sweet jars.....
One long window with a pyramid of sweets.......
One very big window full of jars and globes full of all things nice, unfortunately the window cleaners haven't reached the top floor for many a year! These very large jars seemed to swallow up the sweets I had set aside which means I will be back to the clay soon!
A medium sized window with bouquets of lollipops
Cane pops and acid drops in this window. I also decided to try and light up the windows at the front by putting in an LED strip into each window. I am hoping to power them up with a battery connector. I have seen these at shows but can't for the life of me remember who sells them, so any help would be much appreciated. I will then be able to turn them on and off easily. The battery connectors can be hidden in false packing cases or such like.
When we went to the US last year I picked up a whole variety of Aleene's glues that I had not seen here in the UK. This Clear Gel Tacky Glue has been perfect for topping off the sweet jars that don't have lids. I have now seen it on Amazon UK which is great as I will definitely be using it again.
I have spent today trying to cut the pieces for the roofs on the windows. All I can say is I am never going to tackle the building works of a project like this ever again unless I qualify a fully fledged carpenter. I have made a real dogs dinner of the cutting due to the angle of the roof line but I am hoping that the tiling will hide all the gaps!
I hope you all managed to stay dry today, I seemed to get soaked every time I put my head out of the door!