Monday 20 April 2015

Out of the Garden and Into the Sweetshop........And Easter Comes Late.

What I had hoped would be a job for a week became a much greater project than anticipated but the garden is finally planted. In about five years it might actually look good!! So today I decided to rest my weary back and return to the workshop for some real fun.
One item I came across while foraging for plants and compost I came across these glass bunny ears......
......which belong to this quirky glass dome. With 75% off and an absolute steal at £7.50 I could not pass it by, I knew it would be perfect for a teeny, if late, Easter project.
 I saw this table on Ebay by Julie a seller I have not come across before and thought it would a perfect piece to showcase some special Easter food minis supplemented by my own minis as usual. 
It didn't come with a base but that shouldn't be too much of a problem.
 I have these wonderful pieces by my favourite food artists, Paris Miniatures and Petit D'Licious both on Etsy. I will add to the scene myself with Spring flowers and Easter Eggs, maybe a couple of chicks and some bunting too. You never know it might be finished by next Easter!
 I returned to my lollipops from previously and they really are a bit clumpy. With miniature food I have discovered that small never seems to be small enough but I am still on a massive learning curve with all things clay. The other problem with the lollipops is the size of florist wire I had bought, this is ok for the bigger lollies but is much too thick for the smaller ones.
 They were all matt after baking so I looked up what I should use to add a gloss glaze to the clay. I had some Sculpey varnish and some gloss medium so I have tried both of these, one coat has improved them slightly I will add another coat tomorrow.
 These lollies have had glitter or floss added, bit of a mistake, as now I can't gloss them, another thing to remember.
These are the products I have used to add gloss to the clay. Hopefully they are ok and will not effect the clay.
I have bought some more florist wire in smaller gauges, it took me a while to realise the higher the number the thinner the wire but I should have enough variations now surely! 
All things clay seem to be so time consuming and I don't seem to have much to show for my time today. Then if I make a mistake, mostly due to complete ignorance, it is like I have wasted a couple of hours. I am always in too much of a rush to finish all the small tasks which in most projects seem never ending. I need to remember that, "Tomorrow is another day."



4 comments:

  1. My you have been busy! I absolutely love that bunny scene! The glass cover is perfect for it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Me encanta la cúpula de cristal con esas enormes orejas de conejo!!! Desde luego es un proyecto de pascua perfecto y con esos dulces tan deliciosos,presentados en la mesa,solo mirarlos dan ganas de comerlos !!!
    Los productos que has usado para dar brillo a la arcilla,son adecuados ya que yo he usado el de la izquierda en algunas de mis piezas y después de mucho tiempo están perfectos.
    Que alambres tan finos!!!
    Una vez terminado el duro trabajo del jardín,ahora a disfrutar,es duro,pero la naturaleza te recompensara .
    Besos.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hear ya! Making mini clay foods is time-consuming but also (for me anyway) extremely absorbing and addictive! But your lollies and treats look great to me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Janice! Your Easter topped table looks YUM-MEEEE! :D
    I love the box of French Pastries! You have a Marvelous collection of baked goodies on this table and I also enjoy the sweets that YOU make! I know very little about poly-clays but your lollypops have the kid in me,drooling! :))
    Keep it up!

    elizabeth

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate all comments that readers take the time to leave. I try to reply to all of them.