Friday 13 February 2015

Why Do Printers Hate Me? Oh, and Tulips by Bonnie Lavish Kits......

When I moved into my new workshop I decided to donate my HP all in one printer to the family once and for all. That printer hated me from day one and never worked when I needed it to so I was glad to see the back of it. Plus it's huge and glowers at me and I wanted a petit user friendly one with which I could become friends.
So I bought a compact Epson one. We had an Epson many years ago and I am sure I got on with that one. This afternoon with the rain battering down I decided to set up the new printer to work with my Mac. Well suffice to say I am not at all convinced this blooming printer is going to like me anymore than the HP.
Only time will tell!!
I have, however, managed to make some tulips. I am a huge fan of the kits by Bonnie Lavish who has unfortunately for all of us recently retired. Good job I have quite a few tucked away!!
 They are very easy to understand and each pack contains everything you need, well except for the fingers of a pianist and patience!! I have started to only buy kits in white as they can be painted whatever colour you fancy.
 I have used a pale pink acrylic wash and then tipped each petal with a pink watercolour pencil for added effect. No matter how basic the flower kit is, they are still fiddly and I 'lost' two of the stamens and tulip heads due to over washing and rather too casual knife skills.
 This has still left me with ten tulips which I think is very good value from a kit that was about a fiver I think. I also washed the leaves in two different green acrylic washes and sealed everything with a matt acrylic varnish/sealer before I curled them all with a ball stylus. I stupidly glued the leaves too far down the stem for tulips, they should really be much closer to the flower head but never mind.
I decided to try out a few of them in a glass beaker with caviar beads for my cake box. I decided to drop Judkins Diamond Glaze on top of the beads to keep them in and provide a glued 'soil' for the tulips. Hmmmm, not sure that worked as well as it might have done. As you can see a few beads have still made there way onto the stems.
One more item for the shelves, although I have painted a flower pot as well for planting so I will make that up with some more of the tulips and then decide which one looks best.
I hope you all have a lovely weekend whether it rains or shines.

14 comments:

  1. I like how they turned out and Im having a terrible weekend it's snowing like crazy here :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I am so sick of walking in the mud every day. Even my little dogs can't wait to get home!

      Delete
  2. These tulips look very nice. I love the vase .
    Timea
    enchantedolls.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Timea. Making flowers is very relaxing. Trying to make it feel like Spring!

      Delete
  3. Un gracn trabajo!! el resultado es precioso.Enhorabuena

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have been shopping tonight Ana. Van't resist your cakes!!

      Delete
  4. Fingers crossed that the printer decides to be kind to you. The tulips look lovely and I like the idea of setting them in the beads.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well the printer worked but the ethernet splitter I bought did not. Two hours it took me to work that little problem out. Grrrrrr.
      A lot of florists do this now with beads so I thought I'd give it a try.

      Delete

I really appreciate all comments that readers take the time to leave. I try to reply to all of them.