Thursday 4 October 2012

Time to Move......

Have had a big tidy up of my little workroom ready for me to start work again. Diagon Alley shops are all lined up but I have had to move my witch's house into the corner as I am having the decorators' in very soon. 
Look at this tidy table!! Just waiting for me to mess up!
 My wonderful daylight lamp is a godsend once the grey damp days and evenings start rolling in.
I have three children who started leaving for gap years and university five years ago now and once this movement away from home began the house entered a state of limbo. They have left home.....but not really. They want their bedrooms......but are only at home ten weeks a year. They wouldn't dream of throwing anything away.......but can't fit all their stuff into their student room. In the meantime my collection of dolls houses has grown and I have all this unused space!!
 This Summer my eldest son graduated and at the ripe old age of 24 has moved into London to embark on a two year graduate scheme and will be bringing home his first pay packets!! So bedroom 4 was up for grabs. I'd like to say I shed tears and spent the day sitting in his room looking through baby photos........but I am a very bad liar!! I was in Home base before he had unpacked his first suitcase buying these great half price metal shelving units which provide a perfect place for my first projects. 
The chest of drawers provides another shelf and lots of drawers for my over-flowing stash of materials and Diagon Alley miniatures. In the corner you can see a DVD unit that I have used to store most of my doll collection. I decided they really should see the light of day and be enjoyed.

Each unit holds two houses comfortably and these are heavy, large DHE shops.
There is also a huge wall to wall range of cupboards in this room but it still seems to be full of No.1 son's clothes, sports gear and shoes!! Ah well, one day I will be able to put it all in the loft. Oh no wait.....the loft is full of the 1001 cuddly toys, beanie babies and barbies they could not possibly throw away!!!!

24 comments:

  1. Fantástica colección de casa, es difícil decir cual es mas bonita pues todas son ideales, felicidades por sa colección:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's really nice to see all your "Properties" lined up!!! You have a wonderful collection! Congratulations for your son's graduation and new position!!
    I can fully understand your pleasure at gaining a workroom.... but make sure you keep a bed or a sleep sofa... they do keep coming home again.... however briefly!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so right, I have a sofa bed in my youngest son's room for emergencies ! Thank you for sharing my pleasure of his success we are all proud of him.

      Delete
  3. Wow, you have a wonderful collection, I cant believe how many Diagon Alley Houses you have. So lucky. My craft room is my 7 year olds sons room, he perfers to sleep in the same room as his brother still. But not much longer, my time is short and then i will be bansihed to the basement. lol

    Jenn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jenn, I am lucky to have as much room as I have and a very tolerant husband! Now I have to start filling and finishing off the shops I have started!

      Delete
  4. So funny, I changed my daughter's bedroom into a workroom for me the minute she moved out two months ago. I used to work in the dining room before with almost no space, love my new workroom and it is so nice to leave it in a mess and just close the door when I am done for the day, no tears here either.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Elga, there comes a time doesn't there!? I love him to bits but he has been away too long and it was a long summer with him at home! I just hope he can earn enough to pay his rent!

      Delete
  5. Wat heb jij veel prachtige poppenhuizen en winkels. Wat een heerlijke kamer, met mooi uitzicht en veel daglicht om in te werken. Ik wens je nog veel jaren plezier toe met de poppenhuishobby.

    Groeten Xandra

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello, you have a lot of amazing houses, congratulations.
    cunha

    ReplyDelete
  7. I chuckled to myself when you mentioned planning bedroom #4 before it was properly vacant!
    The shelves work perfectly.
    Here's to taking over bedroom # 3...
    Simon

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I have a long wait for that one Simon Number 2 Child is doing a Masters in Archeaology and then intends to spend a couple of years digging her way around the world......

      Delete
  8. Oh Janice, I am sort of in the same situation and I so recognise wanting just 1 of their rooms for a workroom. I currently work in the kitchen, but I have to clear everything away every day. Although I love having them back here, I still want that space!

    You have a lot of houses! I only have 1 and I suppose I would soon have more, once I get my hands on 1 of their rooms, :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is such a strange time isn't it, gone but definitely not forgotten. My eldest tells everyone that he left home when he was 18 when I sent him off to South America for six months. How comes then I was still doing his washing and ironing this Summer when he was 24?!
      The house does feel empty during term time but soooo tidy!

      Delete
  9. If I could, I would make a visit and look closely your work room (but I fear that Brazil is somewhat distant from the United Kingdom grin *).
    Everything looks so organized and full of your wonderful work. ;)
    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Eliana, I am a great one for being tidy but not so good with housework!

      Delete
  10. Hahaha Janice! Wish I had so much space for my projects.:) Good for you! Emjoy! Your dollhouse collection is stunning!
    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Still so much work to do on ALL of them but at least I have the space now!

      Delete
  11. I love your collection.
    Bye Faby

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love it Janice - a big huge space to call your own.

    I've just moved into my son's newly vacated room and like you - there were no tears from me either! (Not because I was glad to see the back of him - he's bought his own house with his fiance).

    Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lol your post really made me laugh. My last 3 all left and I couldn't wait to use the rooms but guess what within 3 months they were all back lol so much for dreaming :D Lucky you ( are Moms supposed to say that hehe) Have fun with your room.
    Hugs Maria

    ReplyDelete
  14. Janice it all looks so wonderful! My you really do have a lot of houses!!! I am in much the same situation being in limbo with my three and coveting the space left behind.

    I don't have nearly as many houses, but, I'm averaging one a year. One of the kids has got to be moving soon, the oldest graduates from college this year... (fingers crossed) lol

    ReplyDelete
  15. Fabulous Janice!!!Congrats on your new room :)

    Hugs,
    Victoria

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hello Janice,
    Now that is a work room. What a great palce to work your magic.
    Big hug,
    Giac

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate all comments that readers take the time to leave. I try to reply to all of them.